Sorry Ottawa, but Chris Pronger is set to make his return on Thursday.
After missing nearly five weeks with a broken right foot that required surgery, the defenseman will make his return to the lineup when the red-hot Flyers face the Senators at the Wells Fargo Center.
Pronger, 36, has admitted that isn’t one hundred-percent, but is well enough to contribute at a high level.
“Hopefully I can get back to where I was when I got hurt,” Pronger told ESPN.
So do the Flyers, not that they need it.
According to Anthony SanFilippo of the Delco Times, the contract of Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has been extended for three years. The deal extends Holmgren through the 2013-14 season. As per team policy, the financial terms were not released.
Watch out Eastern Conference, the first-place Flyers are getting some reinforcement.
According to general manager Paul Holmgren, imposing defenseman Chris Pronger has been cleared by doctors to practice with the team. But rather than try to fly the 36-year-old veteran to snowy Boston on Thursday, he will meet the team in Atlanta on Friday.
Impressive so far, now lets see if the Flyers can handle a little adversity.
After consulting a foot specialist, the Flyers officially announced on Friday that defenseman Chris Pronger has a broken first metatarsal in his right foot and will require surgery. The veteran and keystone of Philadelphia’s blue line will miss 4-6 weeks, or as Sam Carchidi of the Inquirer added up, 11-17 games. Pronger, who has four goals and 11 assists in 31 games, should be available to return by Feb. 1.
Pronger, 36, injured his foot in Philadelphia’s 5-3 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday.
The puck bandit known as Chris Pronger has struck again — but this time there was some interference.
After famously stealing the game puck as the losing side during the 2009-10 Stanley Cup Finals against the Chicago Blackhawks, on Tuesday, Pronger replayed some of his playoff gamesmanship.
The fog that clouded the Flyers’ roster situation all of training camp has suddenly lifted.
In a conference call on Monday, days prior to the Flyers’ season opener against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Oct. 7, Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren cleared the air the best he could, starting with the issues at goaltender and ending with injury updates.
According to Larry Brooks of the NY Post, the NHL has issued an ultimatum of sorts to the NHLPA, demanding compliance with a new set of rules concerning high-end, salary cap circumventing contracts or else face the editing of current rule-bending contracts.
Either way, it looks like Chris Pronger’s deal with the Flyers is safe.
After specifically calling out the contracts of Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk and possibly Mark Savard, it was mentioned that Pronger’s deal will be passed on by the league.
On July 27, Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger underwent minor surgery to clean out his damaged right knee. Following the successful procedure, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren stated that the 35-year old would be “ready for the start of camp.”
Holmgren may have been a bit optimistic.
“No. I can tell you that much,” Pronger said, when asked by PR staff if he would be 100-percent for the start of training camp in Sept. “With the amount of atrophy, it is going to take a lot of hard work to build the leg muscles back up.
“Obviously, I will spending a lot of hours in the gym trying to strengthen my knee and the rest of my body.”
Despite the NHL’s reopened investigations into the front-loaded contracts of Philadelphia’s Chris Pronger, Boston’s Marc Savard, Chicago’s Marian Hossa and Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, one unnamed agent believes even with the league’s newfound aggressiveness on the heels of the declined Ilya Kovalchuk deal — the NHL will not cancel the already accepted contracts.
“The NHL isn’t going to do anything with these deals. Nothing is going to happen,” the agent told the Ottawa Sun. “They’ve been trying to investigate most of these deals for a year.
“I can tell you they certainly aren’t going to rip up a contract that has already been signed and approved by the league.”
On Monday, arbitrator Richard Bloch made the ground-breaking ruling to uphold the NHL’s right to abolish Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million deal with the New Jersey Devils, based on the grounds that the deal was created to circumvent the salary cap.
But as the official news spread, general managers around the league began to tremble, because this ruling didn’t just set a precedent for future deals — it could even change the past. For not only did Bloch tear apart the Kovalchuk deal, he mentioned, by name, the deals for Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Boston’s Marc Savard, Chicago’s Marian Hossa and Philly’s Chris Pronger, as example of infraction.
Bloch wrote …
“While the contracts have, in fact, been registered, their structure has not escaped League notice: those SPCs [standard player’s contracts] are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration.”